Classification Code Review
- Related Documents
- Cover letter-draft 2 release
- Classification Code Feedback Template
- IPC Classification Code (Draft 2)
- International Standard for Athlete Evaluation (Draft 2)
- International Standard of Classification Personnel and Training (Draft 2)
- International Standard for Classification Data Protection (Draft 2)
- International Standard of Eligible Impairments (Draft 2)
- International Standard for Protests and Appeals (Draft 2)
- Round two IPC Classification Code feedback
- Cover Letter- Draft 1 release
- IPC Classification Code (Draft1)
- International Standard for Athlete Evaluation (Draft 1)
- International Standard for Data Protection (Draft1)
- International Standard for Protests and Appeals (Draft 1)
- International Standard on National Classification (Draft 1)
- Round one IPC Classification Code feedback
- IPC Classification Code (current version)
“We encourage everyone to think outside of the box and to design the future of Paralympic Classification together with us.”
The IPC Classification Code provides rules and procedures for Paralympic classification that should be common to all sports. With this, sport-specific classification systems are developed with support from scientific evidence. It was adopted by the IPC Governing Board in 2007 and applies to all sports in the Paralympic Movement.
In 2013, the IPC launched a consultation process to revise the existing Code.
What is the Code review?
After six years of working with the Code, The IPC Governing Board initiated proposed amendments to the Code (and International Standards) in accordance with article 17.6. A review round was initiated in June 2013, encouraging athletes, IPC member organisations, classifiers, officials and other interested stakeholders to suggest changes to the current Code.
By contributing to the Code review, stakeholders are at the heart of the future development of Paralympic classification.
Third consultation round 2015
As a result of the second consultation round the IPC Governing Board and the IPC Classification Committee are pleased to release the 2017 Classification Code and International Standards version 2 for the final round of membership consultation until 10 April 2015. Feedback is welcome. All information, such as the draft 2 Code and International Standards, Cover letter and feedback template are available on the left of this page.
The final version of the revised Code will be presented by the IPC Governing Board as a motion at the 2015 IPC General Assembly. Each Member of the Paralympic Movement must accept the Code by 1 January 2017.
Second consultation round 2014
The IPC received more than 1,700 comments from 50 respondents to the Code during the second consultation round (July-October 2014). All feedback that was submitted is available in the round two IPC Classification Code feedback document found on this page.
The IPC Classification Committee and the IPC Governing Board considered all feedback and with this drafted a second version of the revised Code and International Standards.
Feedback first consultation round
The IPC received more than 750 comments on the Code in total from the first consultation round (June-September 2013). The IPC Classification Committee and the IPC Governing Board considered all feedback and drafted a first version of the revised Code and International Standards. The draft one Code and International Standards are available from the links on this page.