PARA ALPINE SKIING FAST FACTS
1. The sport has been included in all editions of the Paralympic Winter Games from Örnsköldsvik 1976 onwards.
2. Since the first Winter Paralympics, a total of 516 gold medals have been awarded in the sport. Austria has won the most with 94.
3. The USA and Austria have topped the Para alpine skiing medals table at four Paralympic Winter Games, more than any other country.
4. Twenty-three countries have won Para alpine skiing gold at the Paralympic Winter Games.
5. Twenty-nine countries have won at least one Para alpine skiing medal at the Winter Paralympics.
6. With 16 titles apiece, Germany’s Gerd Schoenfelder and Reinhild Moeller lead the overall men’s and women’s medals tables, respectively.
7. Athletes are divided into three categories depending on their functional ability: sitting, standing and vision impaired.
8. Canadian Lauren Woolstencroft was the first skier to win all five alpine skiing events at a single Games in Vancouver in 2010.
9. The first official World Championships in the sport was held in France in 1974.
10. The world’s best Para alpine skiers also take part in the World Cup series, which features a number of events across Europe throughout the season.