Iran: 10 facts on the Sochi 2014 Paralympics01.01.1970
Iran is looking to win the first medal at Paralympic Winter Games
- Iran have yet to win a medal at the Paralympic Winter Games.
- Kalhor competed in the Winter Paralympics in 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010. The only other Iranian at the Winter Games was Ramzanali Jeiroodi who competed in 1998. Both competed in alpine skiing.
- Iran have won 112 medals at the Summer Paralympic Games, including 47 golds.
- They have won most of their medals in athletics (71 total, 30 golds) and owerlifting (24 total, nine golds).
- Iran won a record 24 medals for their country at the London 2012 Paralympics, including 10 golds. Iran have only won more gold medals in 2000 (12), when they won 23 total medals.
- Gader Modabber Raz has won five gold medals for Iran in athletics in the discus, shot put and javelin from 1996-2000. He also claimed one bronze medal for a total of six medals.
- Mokhtar Nourafshan has won an Iranian record of seven total medals, including four golds, all in athletics.
- Iran leads all countries in men's sitting volleyball medals, winning golds (five) or silvers (two) in each edition from 1988 to 2012.