Romania: Seven facts on the Sochi 2014 Paralympics
Romania will make its second appearance at a Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi19 Jan 2014
Laura Valeanu was the first Romanian to compete at a Paralympic Winter Games
Ⓒ Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
• Romania have yet to win a medal at the Paralympic Winter Games.
• Romania's first winter participation came at Vancouver 2010 when Laura Valeanu participated in alpine skiing.
• Valeanu was the first Romanian woman to compete in multiple events at a single Paralympic Games.
• She finished 14th in women's giant slalom event, but did not finish in the slalom standing.
• Romania has won three medals in Paralympic Games history, all by Carol Eduard Novak in men's cycling.
• Novak has won one gold and two silver medals. He won gold in men's 4km pursuit C4 at the Paralympic Games in 2012 and also claimed silver in the time trial C4 in London. He took his first medal in 2008, in men's time trial LC2.
• In all three of Novak's medal events, Czech Republic's Jiri Jezek finished second or first.
• Romania first participated at the Paralympic Games in 1972 in Heidelberg. It returned to the Games 24 years later in 1996 in Atlanta.