5 Facts About....Michael Brannigan19.06.2017
What you need to know about US Paralympic and world 1,500m T20 champion ahead of London 2017.
1) Brannigan, who competes in the T20 class, was diagnosed with autism at three years-old.
2) He took up running through the Rolling Thunder Special Needs Program in Shirley, New York, when he was just eight years-old and is now a member of the New York Athletics Club.
3) He was named the Sports Illustrated High School Athlete of the Month for February 2015 in the USA.
4) In August 2016, Brannigan ran a 3:57.58 mile at the 2016 Sir Walter Miler in the USA, shaving nearly six seconds off his previous best and breaking the four-minute mile barrier for the first time.
5) The 20-year-old – known as Mikey – has already lowered the 1,500m (3:45.50) and 5,000m (14:09.51) T20 world record marks this year.