Ancona 2018: All you need to knowFirst throws-only event of its kind will be held in Italy 15 Sep 2018
• The Ancona 2018 World Para Athletics Winter Challenge takes place in the Italian coastal city of Ancona on Saturday 27 and Sunday 28 October.
• The Winter Challenge is the first of its kind for World Para Athletics and is exclusively for throws events.
• Para athletes have the chance to achieve the necessary qualifying standards for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.
• Shot put, javelin, discus and club throw events all feature in the two-day programme.
• The venue – the Italico Conti Stadium - has an outdoor track, where the Winter Challenge will take place and a 200m indoor track. Since 2013 the indoor venue has been the location for the annual Italian Para Athletics Indoor Championships, while the outdoor track is home to the national winter throwing championships.
• Italian trio Assunta Legnante (shot put F11), Oney Tapia (discus and shot put F11) and Giuseppe Campoccio (shot put F33) all won gold at August’s Berlin 2018 European Championships – all three are in action in Ancona.
• Throwers from around the world can still register to compete in Ancona. The deadline for entries is September 24 – email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to take part.