Claudia Romero has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for July after receiving 50 per cent of the public vote.
The Mexican taekwondo athlete achieved a decisive victory over Peru’s Leonor Espinoza Carranza in the women’s up to 49kg K44 division to win her second Pan Am title.
Field athlete Elizabeth Gomes ended second with 41 per cent. The Brazilian set new world records in both the women’s shot put and javelin F52 at the Berlin Grand Prix, just two weeks after breaking the discus world record in Paris.
Argentinian wheelchair tennis player Gustavo Fernandez and US triathlete Allysa Seely were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• February – Brenna Huckaby, USA, snowboard
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• July – Claudia Romero, Mexico, taekwondo