Dublin 2018: Maksym Krypak kicks off day two07.08.2018
Five-time Paralympic champion looks to win his first European titles
Five-time Paralympic champion Maksym Krypak is hoping to take his maiden continental title in Dublin on the second day of competition (14 August) of the World Para Swimming Allianz European Championships.
The Ukrainian will swim the men's 100m backstroke S10, an event he took gold in at Rio 2016. Italy's Riccardo Menciotti appears as his toughest opponent. But it will be almost impossible for him to secure the win if Krypak proves to be in good form.
Six Irish swimmers will dive into the pool
Patrick Flanagan will compete in the men's 200m individual medley SM6, while Nicole Turner will take part in the women's equivalent against the likes of Ukraine's four-time Paralympic champion Yelyzaveta Mereshko.
Jonathan McGrath and Ailbhe Kelly will participate in the men's and women's 400m freestyle S8 respectively. Sean O'Riordan will take part in the men's 100m breaststroke SB13 and Barry McClements in the men's 100m freestyle S9.
Ones to Watch
There will be a Spanish showdown between six-time world champion Sarai Gascon and Paralympic gold medallist Nuria Marques Soto in the women's 100m freestyle S9.
Dublin 2018 is Ireland’s first major Para sport event and will gather 400 athletes from 37 countries who will compete at the 2,500-seater National Aquatics Centre.
- Related News
- Dublin 2018: Five world records at the Euros
- Dublin 2018: Ellen Keane wants Euros to change Ireland
- Dublin 2018: European Championships to be livestreamed
- Dublin 2018: World Series winners in numbers
- Dublin 2018: Irish capital getting ready for Euros
- Dublin 2018: New Ellie Simmonds ready to enjoy Euros
- Dublin 2018: Paralympic champions duel on day one