Euclides Grisales named Americas 'Athlete of the Month'Colombia boccia player wins Worlds silver and reaches No.1 12 Sep 2018
Euclides Grisales has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for August after receiving 43 per cent of the public vote.
The Colombian boccia player made history at the World Championships in Liverpool, Great Britain, by winning his country’s first medal, silver in the individual BC4. The win also means he is now world No.1 in his category.
Gustavo Villafane ended second with 32 per cent. The wheelchair basketball player made it to the Hamburg 2018 men’s All-Star team after leading Argentina to seventh place, their best finish at a World Championships.
US swimmer Rebecca Meyers and Brazilian badminton player Vitor Tavares were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• February – Brenna Huckaby, USA, snowboard
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• July – Claudia Romero, Mexico, taekwondo
• August – Euclides Grisales, Colombia, boccia