The square in front of Paris’s Town Hall will be a hive of Paralympic activity on 9 and 10 September 2011 as the French Paralympic Committee (Federation Francaise Handisport) and its historical partner EDF organize a celebration of Paralympic Sport.
The fifth edition of the EDF-Handisport event will allow members of the public to discover and try out various sports for people with an impairment and meet Paralympic Champions.
This coincides with London 2012 Paralympic Games tickets going on sale on 9 September and comes the day after similar International Paralympic Day celebrations in London on 8 September.
The French Paralympic Committee has organized a full programme for the Paris event, including champion athletes. Acting as ambassadors for their sport, many high-level athletes will perform display sessions or will challenge the public in friendly meetings.
The village is divided into 5 zones, each one of them corresponding to a special sports category:
• “Energy”: Athletics, Powerlifting, Rowing, Cycling.
• “Team”: Wheelchair Basketball, Powerchair Football, Wheelchair Rugby, Goalball, Kinball.
• “Precision”: Boccia, Shooting, Blowgun.
• “Duel”: Wrestling, Judo, Table Tennis, Wheelchair Tennis, Fencing, Speedball.
• “Sensations”: Climbing, Body Expression, Wheelchair course.
Tickets for the London 2012 Paralympic Games will go on sale on 9 September. More than one million people have registered already. To sign up for your tickets, visit www.tickets.london2012.com.