The International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board has approved the bid process timelines for the 2024 Olympic Games at a meeting in Monaco.
The Applicant City Phase for the 2024 Games will start on 15 September 2015 and continue through to April/May 2016. The Candidate City Phase will continue through to the election of the host city in the summer of 2017.
Through the latest International Paralympic Committee (IPC)-IOC Agreement, which was signed in 2012, the Paralympic Games will be held in the same city as the Olympic Games until at least 2020. Discussions over an extension to this agreement will commence soon.
Applicant City Phase
• 7-9 October 2015: IOC to host information seminar for 2024 Applicant Cities in Lausanne
• 8 January 2016: Deadline for Applicant Cities to submit Application Files and guarantee letters
• March 2016: IOC Working Group Meeting to assess Applicant Cities (including video conference with each city)
• April/May 2016: IOC Executive Board to select Candidate Cities
• May 2016: Cities receive Candidate City Questionnaire and related documents
Candidate City Phase
• 5-21 August 2016: Candidate Cities to attend Olympic Games Rio 2016 on Olympic Games Observers’ Programme
• November/December 2016: Candidate Cities to attend Rio 2016 Debrief in Tokyo
• January 2017: Deadline for Candidate Cities to submit Candidature File and guarantee letters
• February/March 2017: Evaluation Commission visits
• June 2017: IOC to publish Evaluation Commission Report
• June 2017 (tbc): Candidate City Briefing to IOC members
• Summer 2017: Candidate City presentations to the IOC Session; final report to Session from Evaluation Commission Chair; election of the host city of the 2024 Olympic Games