The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has announced the members for its Standing Committees, including the appointment of the new Anti-Doping Chairperson Dr. Matthias Kamber.
Kamber, the former Chief Executive Officer of the Swiss National Anti-Doping Organisation, will preside over the seven-member committee that is responsible in consulting and advising the IPC on issues related to fight against doping throughout the Paralympic Movement.
As part of his role as Chairperson, Kamber will appoint his committee members in the coming weeks.
The composition of six other Standing Committees were also confirmed, with the Audit and Finance, Classification, Education and Medical Committees each having a new athlete member.
Israel’s Paralympic and world rowing medallist Moran Samuel is one of the additions to the Classification Committee.
“The reason I applied for the Classification Committee was because I believe classification is the core of Paralympic sport, and we should keep finding ways to balance between fair play and maximal competitiveness,” Samuel said.
“I hope I can bring an athlete perspective, and I think that the combination of being a former wheelchair basketball player, and in the last eight years a rower gives me two different experiences of the classification system. Also, my background as a physiotherapist is a big help for me in understanding many of the medical, physical and functional aspects of classification.”
All members of the Women in Sport Committee (WiSC) are new, with the Netherlands’ Rita van Driel chairing the Committee.
“I am extremely happy with the new members of the WiSC who all bring extensive knowledge and experience around this important topic from different member organisations of the Movement all over the world,” van Driel said.
“The IPC aims to achieve a gender equal Paralympic Movement by ensuring that women and men have the same opportunities to participate and succeed in all areas,” she continued about the WiSC’s priorities. “Since we are not there yet, there is an important role for the WiSC to go beyond aspirational notions to achieve action-oriented results. Since we first need to get a better understanding of the barriers that prevent women from becoming leaders or to engage in Para sport, the WiSC will carry out an IPC Gender Equality Review.”
Audit and Finance Committee
• Chairperson: Duane Kale, NZL
• Gadiel Blusztein, ISR (re-appointment)
• Hilda Gibson, GBR (re-appointment)
• Jock O’Callaghan, AUS
• Michelle Stilwell, Canada (athlete)
• Chairperson: Dr. Anne Hart, USA (re-appointment)
• Graham Arthur, GBR (re-appointment)
• Scott Field, RSA (re-appointment)
• Erin Popovich, USA (re-appointment)
• Moran Samuel, ISR (athlete)
• Dr. Juergen Schwittai, GER (re-appointment)
• Dr. Sean Tweedy, AUS (re-appointment)
• Chairperson: Nick Fuller, GBR (re-appointment)
• James Chiutsi, MAW
• Miki Matheson, JPN
• Steven Ungerleider, USA (re-appointment)
• Lucha Villar, PER
• Yu Chui Yee, HKG (athlete)
• Chairperson: Dr. Cheri Blauwet, USA (re-appointment)
• Dr. Manos Bogdos, GRE (athlete)
• Dr. Wayne Derman, RSA (re-appointment)
• Dr. Guzel Idrisova, RUS (re-appointment)
• Dr. James Kissick, CAN (re-appointment)
• Dr. Jan Lexell, SWE (re-appointment)
• Dr. Fariba Mohammadi, IRI
• Dr. Nick Webborn, GBR (re-appointment)
Paralympic Games Committee
• Interim Chairperson: Tim Hollingsworth, GBR (re-appointment to Committee)
• Masoud Ashrafi, IRI (re-appointment)
• Evgeny Bukharov, RUS (re-appointment)
• Dena Coward, CAN (re-appointment)
• Julie Dussliere, USA (re-appointment)
• Lambis Konstantinidis, GRE (re-appointment)
• Cyril Moré, FRA (re-appointment/athlete)
• Terje Jentoft Roel, NOR (re-appointment)
• Matt Smith (Chairperson) is currently inactive for health reasons
Women in Sport Committee
• Chairperson: Rita van Driel, NED
• Fiona Allan, NZL
• Asa Llianres Norlin, SWE
• Leandro Olvech, ITTF
• Karen O’Neill, CAN
• Sonia Bidouh, TUN
More details on each of the IPC Standing Committees and their functions can be found on the International Paralympic Committee website.