Juan Carlos Garrido named Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’12.06.2018
Chilean powerlifter won silver at European Open Championships
Powerlifter Juan Carlos Garrido has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for March after receiving 39 per cent of the public vote, with over 10,000 people voting.
The Chilean powerlifter and Parapan American champion sealed silver in the men’s up to 59kg at the European Open Championships in Berck-sur-Mer, France.
“This award is an important recognition as not only Chilean people voted but people from all across the Americas who have been following my performances,” said Garrido.
“It also shows how well Chile are working in Para sports as many other athletes had also been nominated for this poll in previous months.
“Now I will focus on the Asian-Oceanian Open Championships in Kitakyushu, Japan, and the Americas Open Championships in Bogota, Colombia.”
Mexican powerlifter Perla Barcenas finished second in the poll with 33 per cent of the votes. She was followed by Colombian swimmer Nelson Crispin and Puerto Rican judoka Luis Perez.
Brazilian cyclist Lauro Chaman, Canadian judoka Priscilla Gagne and US swimmer Rebecca Meyers were also nominated.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
- Related News
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Zoe Newson claims first European gold
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Nazmiye Muratli wins third European title
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Mariana Shevchuk breaks world record
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Home joy for Souhad Ghazouani
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Marzena Zieba defends European title
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Konstantinos Dimou breaks record
- Kitakyushu 2018: Ni Nengah Widiasih targets gold
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Monika Szram breaking stereotypes