Kitakyushu 2018: Great Britain announce team22.08.2018
Micky Yule and Louise Sugden will compete at Open Championships
Micky Yule and Louise Sugden will be Great Britain’s two representatives at the World Para Powerlifting Asia-Oceania Open Championships as announced by British Weightlifting. The Championships in Kitakyushu, Japan, run from 8-12 September and are open to powerlifters from all countries.
This is the third regional Championships of the year and a mandatory step on the qualification pathway for athletes from Asia and Oceania hoping to compete at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics. More than 240 athletes from 33 National Paralympic Committees are expected to compete.
Yule will take part in the men’s up to 72kg against the likes of Iraq’s Paralympic silver medallist Rasool Mohsin, while Sugden will compete in the women’s up to 86kg.
Paralympic Performance Director Tom Whittaker said: “I am excited to see Micky Yule, Louise Sugden and the wider team learn about Japan and disseminate this to the wider athlete group.
“Both athletes are well placed to challenge for top eight Tokyo qualification rankings and have justified their selection with continual progress throughout 2018. They deserve the opportunity to represent Great Britain and we wish them well in their final preparations.”
- Related News
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Zoe Newson claims first European gold
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Nazmiye Muratli wins third European title
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Mariana Shevchuk breaks world record
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Home joy for Souhad Ghazouani
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Marzena Zieba defends European title
- Berck-Sur-Mer 2018: Konstantinos Dimou breaks record
- Algiers 2018: Roland Ezuruike remains unstoppable
- Algiers 2018: Sherif Osman extends his reign
- Algiers 2018: Bose Omolayo breaks world record