Vote for December’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’07.01.2019
Nominations in Nordic skiing, powerlifting and wheelchair basketball
The nominations for December 2018’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll have been announced. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Monday (14 January).
Argentina men’s wheelchair basketball team
Celebrated a dominating 65-40 victory over Brazil to win the Men’s 2018 South America Championship title in Lima, Peru, and qualify for the 2019 Parapan Ams.
Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
Claimed his first two podium finishes at the opening World Cup in Vuokatti, Finland, after finishing third in the men’s cross-country middle distance sitting race and second in the short distance.
Fabio Torres, Colombia, powerlifting
Lifted 218kg on his second attempt in the men’s up to 97kg at the Americas Open Championships on home soil to outdo his silver medal performance from 2015 and claim his first continental title.
Oriana Teran, Venezuela, powerlifting
At just 20 years old, she won bronze in the women’s up to 45kg at Bogota 2018 after clearing the bar at 67kg, a new junior Americas record in the category. Teran also claimed the junior Americas title.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• August – Euclides Grisales, Colombia, boccia
• September – Giselle Munoz, Argentina, table tennis
• October – Camila Haase, Costa Rica, swimming
• November – Pilar Jauregui, Peru, badminton