Who should be June’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’?03.07.2018
Eight standout athletes nominated for their performances
Track athlete Daniel Romanchuk of USA, swimmer Diego Lopez of Mexico, field athlete Francisca Mardones of Chile, wheelchair tennis player Gustavo Fernandez of Argentina, track athlete Petrucio Ferreira of Brazil, blind footballer Ricardinho of Brazil, track athletes Sean Gerena of Puerto Rico and Sherman Guity of Costa Rica have been shortlisted for June 2018´s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll.
The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Tuesday (10 July).
The nominations are:
Daniel Romanchuk, USA, athletics
Rose to the top of the men’s T54 world rankings after smashing two world records in the space of two weeks in the men’s 5,000m (9:44.84) and 800m (1:29.66).
Diego Lopez, Mexico, swimming
Set a world record of 1:32.83 in the men’s 100m backstroke S3 and took a total of two golds, one silver and one bronze at the Berlin World Series.
Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
Broke her own Americas record* with a 6.93m throw in the women’s shot put F54 at the Berlin Grand Prix.
Defeated Belgium’s Joachim Gerard 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the final of the BNP Paribas Open de France to win his first Super Series title of the year.
Showed once again why he is one of history’s best after finishing as the World Championships top scorer with 10 goals to lead Brazil to their sixth title.
Sean Gerena, Puerto Rico, athletics
Won silver in the men’s long jump T36 at the Arizona Grand Prix thanks to a 4.31m jump, his country’s best performance at the event.
Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics
Only a year after having his left foot amputated, the Costa Rican sprinter won two bronze medals at the Arizona Grand Prix.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
*Subject to ratification by World Para Athletics
- Related News
- Sherman Guity back to the tracks after accident
- Madrid 2018: Brazil claim fifth world title
- Paris Grand Prix: Petrucio Ferreira on fire in Paris
- Weekend of wheelchair tennis firsts in Paris and London
- Francisca Mardones’ successful sport switch
- Berlin World Series: Home world record for Elena Krawzow
- Arizona Grand Prix: Daniel Romanchuk breaks world record