IPC Releases Shortlist for November Athlete of the Month01 Dec 2011
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) has announced its shortlist for November’s Athlete of the Month award.
The public has until 23:59 (CET) on 6 December to vote for who they think had the best performance last month on the para-sport scene. Fans can vote on the IPC’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/paralympicsporttv.
The finalists for November include:
Daniel Dias (Brazil): The swimmer made himself the face of this year’s Parapan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico, with 11 gold medals in as many races. He set seven Games records on the way to winning all of his events.
Chelsea McClammer (USA): The 17-year-old wheelchair racer won five golds and a bronze at the Parapans, topping the individual Athletics medal chart. She set Games records in the 200m and 800m T54 races.
Gustavo Fernandez (Argentina): At 17, Argentina’s Wheelchair Tennis star won singles gold at the Parapans with a dominating, two-set victory over teammate Agustin Ledesma. He then teamed up with Ledesma in the doubles competition to take home a silver.
Luis Andrade Guillen (Mexico): The S8 swimmer won four golds, three silvers and a bronze at the Parapans, setting Games records in the 50m Freestyle, 100m Butterfly, 200m Individual Medley and an Americas record in the 100m Freestyle.
Colombia men’s Wheelchair Basketball team: After barely slipping past the Parapans quarter-final round with a 1-point victory over Argentina, Colombia shocked heavily favoured Canada in overtime in the semi-finals. Despite losing to USA in the finals, Colombia claimed silver and qualified for its first Paralympic Games.
Brazil men’s Sitting Volleyball team: The squad earned the sole London 2012 qualification spot up for grabs in men’s Sitting Volleyball after winning six of seven of its matches at the Parapans and defeating USA in the finals to win gold.
Previous winners of the award in 2011 are:
- January: Yon Santacana (Spain’s world champion Alpine Skier)
- February: Italy’s Ice Sledge Hockey European Championship team
- March: Neil Fachie (Great Britain’s world champion track Para-Cyclist)
- April: Mikhalina Lysova (Russia’s world champion Biathlete and Cross-Country Skier)
- May: Kristy Pond (Australia’s multi-medal winner at the Arafura Games)
- June: Zoe Newson (Great Britain’s junior world champion in Powerlifting)
- July: Danielle Brown (Great Britain’s three-time medallist at the Para-Archery World Championships)
- August: Ellie Cole (Australia’s six-time gold medallist at Para Pan Pacific Swimming Championships)
- September: Mark Rohan (Ireland’s handcycling road world champion)
- October: Natalia Partyka (Poland’s Para-Table Tennis European singles champion)