British Triathlon has confirmed its squad of 15 para-triathletes making up its 2016 UK Sport Lottery Funded World Class Performance Programmes.
British Triathlon Performance Director, Brendan Purcell, commented: “We have a major focus on Rio’s Copacabana Beach next summer for the Olympic and Paralympic triathlon events, but this is also year zero of our Tokyo 2020 cycle.
“We have distinct groups of athletes now; those working towards Rio, and those looking further into the future.”
Purcell added: “We’ve got a successful group of athletes, who are being supported by a very strong group of coaches and specialist practitioners. We’re really grateful for the support from UK Sport and everyone who buys a lottery ticket each week.”
The elite triathlon season gets underway in March with the first rounds of the ITU World Triathlon Series in Dubai and ITU World Paratriathlon Event Series in Buffalo City, South Africa.
However, the major focus for British triathletes will be on later season events, including the Columbia Threadneedle World Triathlon Leeds on 11-12 June, the Olympic Games (18 & 20 August), Paralympic Games (10-11 September) and ITU World Triathlon Grand Final in Mexico 11-18 September.
British elite para-triathlon Squad
• David Hill, 26, Bath, PT4
• Phil Hogg, 46, Derby, Tri1
• Andrew Lewis, 32, Lydney, Gloucester, PT2
• Stefan Hoggan, 23, Auchtermuchty, Fife, PT4
• George Peasgood, 20, Saffron Walden, PT4
• Ryan Taylor, 22, Derby, PT2
• Joe Townsend, 27, Eastbourne, PT1
• Clare Cunningham, 38, Cambridge, PT4 - world champion 2009
• Grace France, 27, Bristol, PT5 guide
• Faye McClelland, 36, Eastbourne, PT4 - world champion 2010, 11, 12, 13
• Alison Patrick, 28, Livingston, PT5 - world champion 2014
• Melissa Reid, 25, Truro, PT5 - world champion 2013
• Hazel Smith, 29, Edinburgh, PT5 guide
• Lauren Steadman, 22, Peterborough, PT4 - world champion 2014, 15
• Nicole Walters, 26, Bath, PT5 guide