Spanish Paralympic team sponsor Cofidis has launched an advertising campaign called “Our champions” to highlight the organisation’s commitment to Paralympic sport.
Starring para-cyclists Alfonso Cabello, Juanjo Mendez, Raquel Acinas, Ignacio Avila and Joan Foat, the adverts will appear on television, in cinemas, print and online over the coming month.
The five riders star in a commercial centred on the values of sport which is shot from an aesthetic vision showing the true heroism of the athletes.
Juanjo Mendez is shown tackling a long road under the heading “Winner of the no excuses tour”, Raquel Acinas is trying to scale a large mountain “Winner of the Motivation Giro” whilst the tandem pair of Ignacio Avila and Joan Font are seen speeding round a velodrome under the banner “Yellow jersey for overcoming spirit.” Alfonso Cabello meanwhile is shown fighting adversity on a rainy city street and is the “World champion against adversity.”
In launching the commercial last week, Cofidis also announced the five finalists of an initiative called “Commitment Cofidis” which will award three non-governmental organisations (NGOs) with grants of 16,000, 13,000 and 11,000 Euros for social inclusion projects in 2015.
Thirty three projects applied for grants, but the final five NGOs are:
• Genesis Cycling Team (para-cyclists Mendez and Acinas are members)
• Juegaterapia (aiming to create a children’s play area at a hospital in Valencia)
• Play & Train (dedicated to promoting sport among children with impairments)
• The Spanish Parkinson’s Federation (to support people tackling Parkinson’s disease)
• Cocemfe (to promote employment among people with impairment in Alicanta, Ciudad Real and Navarra)
The public have until 8 January to vote for their favourite via website.