The sport of Swimming for athletes with an impairment is governed by the IPC, and co-ordinated by the World Para Swimming Technical Committee, using the International Swimming Federation’s (FINA) modified rules.
The 2014-2017 World Para Swimming Rules and Regulations can be found in the pdf link to the left hand side.
• IPC Swimming Forum 2013
• Informal meetings held with the community at various competitions
• Revision done by the former and current STC members
The major changes to the 2011-2014 IPC Swimming Rules and Regulations are as follows:
• Recommendations passed by the World Para Swimming membership at the 2013 Sport Forum, incorporated where applicable
• Alignment with the wording of FINA Swimming Rules and their interpretation is made, such as:
o Only records achieved at competitions with AOE or semi-AOE are recognised, until swimmer was wearing a swimsuit as per the rules
o Stroke cycle is defined in freestyle and backstroke
o Touch at turn and finish in breaststroke and butterfly
o Arm movement in butterfly
o Mixed relay
o Adjustable back plate and adjustable starting platform for backstroke
o Clear clarification on athlete having 2 caps and advertising on the caps
• Minimum age of 12 years has been identified to enter in IPC Swimming competition
• The list of events is updated
• The protest and appeal procedure clearly explained
• The World Para Swimming Strategic Plan is referred to
Please note that if there are any changes (e.g. changes in FINA rules, or classification related matters), the 2014-2017 World Para Swimming Rules and Regulations can be amended before 2017. Proper notice of any changes will be given.