Costa Rican Esteban Chavez has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ after receiving 56 per cent of the public vote.
The blind football player finished as top scorer and was chosen ‘Player of the tournament’ at the IBSA Blind Football Central American Championships in Guatemala City after leading his team to the title and qualification for the 2018 World Championships.
US wheelchair tennis player David Wagner, who together with compatriot Nick Taylor won a record-tenth UNIQLO Wheelchair Doubles Masters title in Bemmel, the Netherlands, ended second with 33 per cent.
Mike Minor (11 per cent) of the USA finished third following his two victories in the men’s banked slalom SB-UL at the first World Para Snowboard World Cup in Landgraaf, Netherlands.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2017 Americas Athlete of the Month winners so far are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, Para swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, Para ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis
• June – Brent Lakatos, Canada, Para athletics
• July – Mauricio Valencia, Colombia, Para athletics
• August – Diego Meneses, Colombia, Para athletics
• September – Stefan Daniel, Canada, triathlon
• October – Tatyana McFadden, USA, Para athletics
• November – Esteban Chavez, Costa Rica, blind football