Para archery’s most familiar faces, including Iran’s Zahra Nemati, Czech Republic’s David Drahonisky and the ‘Armless Archer’ Matt Stutzman of the United States, will compete against strong newcomers and long-time rivals at Rio 2016.
The competition will be held in the famed Samodromo, the home of Rio’s famous annual carnival parade, from Saturday (10 September).
South Korea, a long-standing force in Para archery, again bring a strong field to the competition.
Ouk Soo Lee is the reigning world champion in the men’s compound. On the women’s side, Hwa Sook Lee is set to compete at her fourth and last Paralympic Games in the individual and team events. She has won seven Paralympic medals from 2004 to 2012.
Great Britain dominate the women’s W1 division, with top-ranked archers Jessica Stretton and Vicky Jenkins among the leading contenders for medals.
In the men’s W1, Great Britain’s John Walker looks set to challenge Drahonisky. They took silver and gold respectively at the 2015 World Archery Para Championships. And longtime archer and London 2012 gold medalist Jeff Fabry of the United States is looking to defend his title.
Schedule: 10-17 September
Mark your calendars for…
Monday 12 September
• Mixed Team Compound Final: Strong contenders from Italy, South Korea and the United States will lead to an intense competition.
Wednesday 14 September
• Men’s Individual Compound Open Final: Do not miss Matt Stutzman, also known as the ‘Armless Archer’, as he goes for gold. He will face tough opposition from South Korea’s Ouk Soo Lee, who won World gold in 2015. Italy’s Alberto Simonelli and the USA’s John Stubbs are World silver and bronze medallists respectively.
Thursday 15 September
• Women’s Individual Recurve Open Final: After making history four years ago by winning Iran’s first-ever gold medal at an Olympic or Paralympic Games, Zahra Nemati is back – and she’s looking for another gold.
Friday 16 September
• Women’s Individual Compound Open Final: Italy’s Eleonora Sarti will make her Paralympic debut after taking her class by storm three years ago.
• Men Individual W1 Final: Reigning world champion David Drahoninsky will go for his first Paralympic gold since 2008, rebounding from the silver he claimed at London 2012.
Saturday, 17 September
• Women Individual W1 Final: Brits Jessica Stretton and Vicky Jenkins have been constant teammates and rivals.
Ones to watch:
• Zahra Nemati (IRI): Competed in the Rio 2016 Olympics where she fell in the opening match to Inna Stepanova (RUS) 6-2. The prolific archer in the women’s recurve open is hoping to improve during the Paralympics.
• Matt Stutzman (USA): The popular ‘Armless Archer’ made headlines in his silver medal debut at London 2012.
• David Drahonisky (CZE): One of the top Para archers in the world since his debut in 2003. Ranked No. 1 in the W1 category where he took gold at Beijing 2008 and silver during London 2012.
• Eleonora Sarti (ITA): Gold medalist in the women’s compound open at the 2015 World Archery Para Championships.
• Jessica Stretton (GBR): The leader of a strong pack of British women in the W1 open.
How to follow:
• IPC Livestream
• World Archery on Twitter
• IPC Facebook
• IPC Twitter
Sport fans from around the world can now buy their Paralympic tickets for Rio 2016 from authorised ticket resellers (ATRs).
The IPC’s Global ATR is Jet Set Sports, and Rio 2016 tickets and packages can be purchased on the CoSport website.
Residents of Brazil can buy 2016 Paralympics tickets directly from the Rio 2016 website.
Visa International is the exclusive payment card and the official payment system for the Paralympic Games.