USA’s David Wagner and Tatyana McFadden, and Brazil’s Gilberto Da Silva are the three shortlisted Para athletes for the Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll for October 2017.
The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage and have time to do so until Monday (16 October).
The nominations are:
Gilberto Da Silva, Brazil, sitting volleyball
Was named Most Valuable Player (MVP) and Best Attacker at the Pan America Sitting Volleyball Championships after leading the Brazilian men’s team to gold, defeating the USA 3-1 in the final.
David Wagner, USA, wheelchair tennis
Took his tally of titles in 2017 into double figures after beating South Africa’s Lucas Sithole 6-4, 6-0 in the final of the French Riviera open. It was his third successive men’s quad singles title.
Tatyana McFadden, USA, Para athletics
Notched up a phenomenal seventh consecutive Chicago Marathon to close the gap at the top of the Marathon Majors World Series.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2017 Americas Athlete of the Month winners so far are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, Para swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, Para ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis
• June – Brent Lakatos, Canada, Para athletics
• July – Mauricio Valencia, Colombia, Para athletics
• August – Diego Meneses, Colombia Para athletics
• September – Stefan Daniel, Canada, Para triathlon