PARA ICE HOCKEY FAST FACTS
1. Para ice hockey was formerly known as ice sledge hockey until it was rebranded in 2016.
2. The sport made its Paralympic debut at the 1994 Paralympic Winter Games in Lillehammer, Norway.
3. Sweden defeated Norway for the first Paralympic gold medal.
4. The USA is the most successful Paralympic team, taking four of the seven Paralympic titles.
5. Para ice hockey was founded in the early 1960s in Sweden.
6. The first all-female Para ice hockey game was in 2007 in Ottawa, Ontario.
7. The first World Championships took place in 1996 in Nynashamn, Sweden, with the host nation taking the first title. Ten more Worlds have been held since.
8. Two female Para ice hockey players have competed at a Paralympics: Bri Mjaasund Oejen from Norway was the first at Lillehammer 1994. Lena Schroeder, also from Norway, took to the ice at PyeongChang 2018.
9. Australia and China made their international debut at the 2018 World Championships C-Pool.
10. The 2019 World Championships in Ostrava, Czech Republic, saw the most spectators at a single World Championships, with 64,748 across the entire tournament.