Table tennis player Bruna Costa Alexandre has been voted Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ after helping Brazil clinch gold in the women’s class 9-10 at the ITTF Para World Team Championships. It was Brazil and Latin America’s first ever world title in the sport.
She finished first with 50 per cent of the public vote, followed by Canadian track and field athlete Brent Lakatos (25 per cent). Mexico’s shot putter Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, and USA’s taekwondo athlete Evan Medell and track and field athlete Cassie Mitchell were also nominated.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from the continent.
The 2017 Allianz Athlete of the Month winners so far are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis