Next up in our countdown series to July’s World Para Athletics Championships is Brazilian Petrucio Ferreira. Here’s what you need to know about the 20-year-old sprint sensation.
Five Facts About Petrucio Ferreira
1) At age two his arm was amputated below the elbow after an accident with a grinding machine on his father’s farm.
2) Ferreira was signed up to compete at a school event and won, despite having never trained and using borrowed shoes.
3) He began competing in 2013 – within two years he had set new world records and won double sprint gold at the 2015 Parapan Am Games in Toronto, Canada.
4) Ferreira missed the 2015 World Championships after suffering a hamstring injury two days before competition began – London 2017 will be his first World Championships.
5) The Brazilian won 100m T47 gold at the Rio Paralympic Games, breaking the world record twice in two days.