On a cold, wet and windswept day at the Aoti Main Stadium, host nation China dominated the second day of Athletics in the Guangzhou 2010 Asian Para Games winning 17 gold medals.
In addition six Asian records were set on Wednesday despite the atrocious conditions.
The first record breaker of the day was Japan’s Uran Sawada who set a new Asian record in the Women’s 100m T13. Her time of 13.28 secured gold ahead of Thailand’s Supannee Prawat and Liu Ya Ting of Chine Taipei.
China’s Xiong Dezhi was next to make the Asian records books after recording a time of 14.82 in the Women’s 100m T38. Her teammate Liu Xiumei took silver and Malaysia’s Norsyazwani Abdullah the bronze.
In the Men’s 200m T11, Thailand’s Kitsana Jorchuy won gold and broke the Asian Record with a time of 24.08. Wu Xiang of China and Hidetoshi Suzuki of Japan took the silver and bronze respectively.
In throwing events there were gold medals and Asian Records for Iran’s Salman Abbariki in the Men’s Shot Put F34 – 10.47m, China’s Zhao Hongmei in the Women’s Javelin – F46 – 37.57m, and United Arab Emirates’ Thurava Alzaabi in the Women’s Javelin F33/34/52/53 – 15.19m.
Other medal winners on Wednesday (15 December) included:
* Wu Chunmiao of China in the Women’s 100m T11 – 12.89 seconds
* Zhu Daging of China in the Women’s 100m T12 – 13.42
* Wang Fang of China in the Women’s 100m T36 – 14.41
* Bao Jiongyu of China in the Women’s Discus Throw F35/36 – 24.17m
* Farhad Raiga of Iran in the Men’s Shot Put F42 – 12.81m
* Mohd Hisham Khaironi of Malaysia in the Men’s 200m T12 – 23.75
* Che Mian of China in the Men’s 200m T36 – 25.29
* Mohammed S.s Fannouna of Palestine in the Men’s Long Jump F13 – 6.22mm
* Yuan Yizhi of China in the Men’s 200m T13 – 22.90
* Chen Jie of China in the Men’s 800m T36 – 2:20.09
* Prawat Wahoram of Thailand in the Men’s 1,500m T54 – 3:15.13 and Men’s 5,000m T54 12:06.29
* Javid Ehsani Shakib of Iran in the Men’s Discus Throw F57/58 – 43.21m
* Wang Juan of China of China in the Women’s 100m T44 – 14.03
* Wang Yanping of China in the Women’s 100m T46 -13.10
* Huang Lisha of China in the Women’s 100m T53 – 17.83
* Zhang Ting of China in the Women’s 100m T54 – 18.34
* Mi Na of China in the Women’s Discus F37 – 30.42m
* Chen Hongjie of China in the Men’s High Jump F46 – 1.88m
* Mahdi Al Saadi of Iraq in the Men’s Shot Put F12 – 10.71m
* Guo Wei of China in the Men’s Javelin F35/36 – 46.06m
* Qi Shun of China in the Men’s 5,000m T12 – 15:54.01
The Guangzhou Asian Para Games will run until 19 December and involve around 2,500 athletes from 41 countries competing in 19 sports.