Great Britain’s Paralympic, world and European champion Oliver Hynd hopes his medal winning run will continue when he heads to Brazil for the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games.
He made excellent progress on his road to the Paralympics in 2016 with three European gold medals in the men’s 100m backstroke S8, men’s 400m freestyle S8 and in the event in which he holds the Paralympic title – the 200m individual medley SM8.
Here he describes the highs and lows of his career so far to paralympic.org.
My best moments
1. Winning a gold medal at the London 2012 Paralympic Games.
Hynd won the 200m individual medley, beating his own European record in a time of 2:24.63. Four years earlier, he watched his older brother, Sam, win gold at Beijing 2008.
2. Breaking his brother’s 400m freestyle record.
Back in 2014, Sam Hynd set the 400m freestyle SM8 record finishing with a gold medal performance of 4:26.25. Ollie completed the event in 4:24.32 the following year at his home IPC Swimming World Championships in Glasgow, Great Britain.
3. Winning a gold medal in the 200m individual medley at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014.
Hynd finished the event in 2:22.76, just 0.10 outside his European record.
1. Breaking his wrist at the first 2012 Paralympic trials.
“At one stage it was feared I would miss the Games, but I was able to work my way back into shape in time for the Games,” he said.
2. Missing out on a gold medal in the 400m freestyle S8 at London 2012.
Instead of claiming his second title, Hynd settled for silver.
3. Missing out on gold in the 100m backstroke S8 at the 2015 World Championships.
Hynd took home bronze, finishing behind Russia’s Konstantin Lisenkov in first and Ukraine’s Iurii Bozhynskyi in second.
Sport fans from around the world can now buy their Paralympic tickets for Rio 2016 from authorised ticket resellers (ATRs)
The IPC’s Global ATR is Jet Set Sports, and Rio 2016 tickets and packages can be purchased on the CoSport website.
Residents of Brazil can buy 2016 Paralympics tickets directly from the Rio 2016 website.