Track star Martina Caironi is one of 12 Italian Para athletes selected to compete at next month’s World Para Athletics Championships in London, Great Britain. What do you know about the T42 Para athlete and multiple world and Paralympic champion?
Five Facts About Martina Caironi
1) In 2007 Caironi was involved in a motorcycle accident that resulted in the amputation of her left leg above the knee.
2) The 27-year-old from Lombardo, Italy, won 100m T42 gold at London 2012 and Rio 2016. She is also a three-time world champion.
3) Caironi studied linguistics at university and speaks Italian, English, Portuguese, Spanish and Mandarin.
4) She holds the 100m T42 world record (14.61 seconds, set at the last World Championships in 2015) and is the only athlete in her class to dip below 15 seconds.
5) Caironi also won the world long jump T42 title in 2013, and finished runner-up behind Germany’s Vanessa Low in 2015.