Around 475 athletes from 38 countries will be in Grosseto this weekend for the latest stop in the IPC Athletics Grand Prix series. To whet your appetite ahead of the action, here are five fascinating facts about the host city.
1. The origins of Grosseto date back to the Middle Ages – it was first mentioned around the year 803.
2. It was one of the settings for the Hollywood film 'The Talented Mr Ripley', starring Matt Damon and Jude Law.
3. The city will stage the 2016 IPC Athletics European Championships.
4. Baseball is a hugely popular sport in a Grosseto – the men’s team were European champions in 2005.
5. The Tuscan city's football team, US Grosseto, are called the Grifone, after the Griffin depicted on their badge. They play at the Stadio Olimpico Carlo Zecchini, the stage for this week's Grand Prix.