The US T52 wheelchair racer won triple gold at the Parapan Am Games in Toronto this summer. Here are five facts you might not know about him.
1. Martin started competing in para sports when he was just five-years-old: “Believe it or not, track and field was the first sport I tried. Between then and now I have tried swimming, archery, hockey, and basketball; but I loved track and field so much that I have stuck with it.”
2. At the 2013 IPC Athletics World Championships, Martin became the first male athlete to win five gold medals from five events.
3. One of his goals in life is to learn how to play the piano. “I know it sounds really silly seeing as how my fingers have very little function, but there's just something about the piano that I'm drawn to.”
4. Martin holds the T52 world records over 100m, 200m, 400m and 1,500m.
5. The 21-year-old once took a class in Japanese to broaden his horizons.
The IPC Athletics World Championships will take place in Doha, Qatar, between 21-31 October, attracting 1,400 athletes from 100 countries.
To buy tickets, please head to this website.