The opening Grand Prix of the 2017 season will see more than 370 athletes from 40 countries descend on Dubai, UAE. The 9th FAZAA International meeting – the Dubai Grand Prix, will take place between 20-23 March and here are five reasons why you should keep an eye on the action:
1. The Dubai Grand Prix is the 2017 season-opener for World Para athletics and provides the first opportunity to see many of the world’s top Para athletes back in action for the first time since Rio 2016.
2. 50 Paralympic medallists will start in Dubai.
3. The Dubai venue has been the scene of multiple world records in recent years - three world records were broken in 2016, eight in 2015 and seven in 2014.
4. Twenty of this year’s line-up won Paralympic gold at Rio 2016.
5. Home favourite and local hero Mohamed Hammadi won the UAE’s only track gold at Rio 2016 – he lines up in the 100m, 200m, 400m and 800m T34.
The London 2017 World Para Athletics Championships will take place between 14-23 July. To buy tickets, click here.