Jesus Castillo named Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’Won dramatic powerlifting world title on home soil at Mexico City 2017 17 Jan 2018
Mexican powerlifter Jesus Castillo has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for December after receiving 44 per cent of the public vote.
The 33-year-old won a dramatic world title in the men’s up to 107kg at Mexico City 2017 thanks to a 236kg lift in his final attempt. Castillo was in third position after two rounds, but his home crowd gave him the strength to produce an epic comeback.
Fellow Mexican powerlifter and three-time world champion Amalia Perez ended second with 35 per cent. Argentinian blind footballer Silvio Velo finished third with 20 per cent.
Swimmers Andre Brasil of Brazil and Jessica Long of the USA were among the nominees as well.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2017 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, Para swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, Para ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis
• June – Brent Lakatos, Canada, Para athletics
• July – Mauricio Valencia, Colombia, Para athletics
• August – Diego Meneses, Colombia, Para athletics
• September – Stefan Daniel, Canada, triathlon
• October – Tatyana McFadden, USA, Para athletics
• November – Esteban Chavez, Costa Rica, blind football
• December – Jesus Castillo, Mexico, powerlifting