Mariyappan Thangavelu hit the headlines in his home country of India when he won Paralympic gold in the men’s high jump T42 at Rio 2016 - his first Paralympic Games. He'll be aiming to repeat his winning performance at next week's World Para Athletics Championships.
Five Facts About Mariyappan Thangavelu
1. He was run over by a bus as a young child when on his way to school - causing his right leg to become stunted.
2. Encouraged to take up sport by his physical education teacher, Thangavelu got into athletics while he was a student at school in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
3. After winning the high jump T42 gold medal in Rio, he was showered with gifts - including a sports fund set up by legendary Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar.
4. The 22-year-old was awarded the Padma Shri this year - India's fourth highest national honour.
5. Film director Aishwaryaa Dhanush is reportedly making a film about Thangavelu's life.