Five Reasons to be Interested: Berlin Grand PrixWhy this weekend's Para athletics event is worth keeping an eye on. 17 Jun 2017
Some of the world's best Para athletes from the world of track and field are in action in Berlin this weekend. As if that wasn't enough of an excuse to get excited about the Berlin Grand Prix, here are five more reasons.....
1. It’s the eighth and final Grand Prix of the year before the World Para Athletics Championships in one month’s time.
2. Berlin will stage the 2018 European Para Athletics Championships. This is an opportunity for many of the European competitors to get a feel for the venue.
3. In 2016 there were wins for the likes of U.S T20 middle-distance man Michael Brannigan; Italy’s T42 star Martina Caironi; Ukraine’s visually impaired Para athlete Leilia Adzhametova and Namibian Ananias Shikongo. All went on to win gold at Rio 2016.
4. Berlin has been the scene of world records both on the track and out in the field – Martina Caironi broke the 200m T42 world record in 2015.
5. Rio 2016 Paralympic champions including South African Hilton Langenhoven, Pole Maciej Lepiato and local favourite Sebastian Dietz will line up this weekend.