Colombian field athlete Mauricio Valencia was selected by the public as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ after winning his country’s only gold at the World Para Athletics Championships London 2017.
The 29-year-old finished first in the men’s javelin F34 thanks to a 35.21 throw. Valencia followed that up with a bronze in the shot put F34.
In the public polls, he received an overwhelming 90 per cent of the votes.
Canada’s Brent Lakatos, Ecuador’s Damian Carcelen, USA’s Tatyana McFadden and Brazil’s Petrucio Ferreira were also shortlisted.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from the continent.
The 2017 Allianz Athlete of the Month winners so far are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis
• June – Brent Lakatos, Canada, athletics
• July – Mauricio Valencia, Colombia, athletics