Sherman Guity has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for May after receiving an overwhelming 71 per cent of the public vote.
The Costa Rican T64 sprinter claimed two golds in the men’s 100m and 200m at the Nottwil Grand Prix and was congratulated by the Costa Rican President himself.
Puerto Rican athlete Anssell Miranda Martinez ended second with 12 per cent of the votes.
Colombian cyclist Carolina Munevar, El Salvador’s powerlifter Herbert Aceituno and US triathlete Allysa Seely were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2019 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Johanna Sossa and Johana Martinez, Colombia, wheelchair tennis
• February – Rebeca Valenzuela Alvarez, Mexico, athletics
• March – Matias Pino, Chile, table tennis
• April – Daniel Martins, Brazil, athletics
• May – Sherman Guity, Costa Rica, athletics