Canada’s wheelchair racer Brent Lakatos, Brazil’s cyclist Lauro Cesar Chaman and USA’s swimmer Rebecca Meyers are the three shortlisted Para athletes for the Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll for June 2017.
The public are invited to vote for their winner via www.americasparalympic.org and can do so until Thursday (13 July).
The nominations are:
Lauro Cesar Chaman, Brazil, cycling
Finished second in the men’s time trial C5 at the final World Cup in Emmen, the Netherlands, to end top of the World Cup overall rankings.
Brent Lakatos, Canada, athletics
Broke a seven-year-old world record in the men’s 1,500m T53/54 at the Nottwil Grand Prix.
Rebecca Meyers, swimming, USA
The Rio 2016 champion continued her excellent form in the pool, winning all five of her events at the World Series in Indianapolis, USA, ahead of Mexico City 2017.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from the continent.
The 2017 Americas Athlete of the Month winners so far are:
• January – Gustavo Fernandez, Argentina, wheelchair tennis
• February – Alexander Cataldo, Chile, wheelchair tennis
• March – Maria Paula Barrera, Colombia, swimming
• April – Adam Dixon, Canada, ice hockey
• May – Bruna Costa Alexandre, Brazil, table tennis