New to the ‘Ones to Watch’ list this year, Hongzhuan Zhou competes in the T53 class for wheelchair racers. The multiple Paralympic and world champion will be a key contender for gold at the World Para Athletics Championships which start on Friday 14 July. Here’s what you need to know:
Five Facts About Hongzhuan Zhou
1. Zhou contracted polio aged three.
2. She took up Para athletics in 2004, at 16-years-old.
3. Four years later in 2008 she won gold, silver and bronze medals at her home Paralympics in Beijing.
4. The 28-year-old has won five individual Paralympic titles across three separate Games.
5. To date she has won 12 World Championship medals, in events ranging from the 100m sprint to 5,000m distance races.