Claudia Loesch22 October 1988 Vienna, Austria
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- 2017 World Para Alpine Skiing Championships: Gold - giant slalom and super-G
- 2015 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships: Gold - downhill, super combined and slalom; Silver - giant slalom
- Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games: Silver - super-G and giant slalom
- 2013 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships: Gold - giant slalom, super-G and super combined
- 2011 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships: Silver - super combined, slalom and giant slalom; Bronze - super-G
Claudia Loesch is an alpine skiing veteran, having won two golds, three silvers and two bronze over three Paralympic Winter Games. She will again be a strong favourite to reach the podium at PyeongChang 2018.
She enjoyed a successful return from injury in the 2016-17 season, winning two world titles in giant slalom and super-G, to keep long-time rival Anna Schaffelhuber looking over her shoulder in the year before the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games.
Loesch has bad memories of Sochi 2014, with Schaffelhuber sweeping the board with five golds to leave the Austrian withouth a Paralympic title.
However, the Innsbruck native was able to get revenge at the 2015 World Championships, leaving with three titles in Panorama, Canada, after an intense competition. That included a much coveted first gold medal in downhill, a victory which she cites as one of the most important in her career alongside her first world title in 2013.
Loesch finished second in the 2014-15 World Cup standings, behind Schaffelhuber. In 2015-16, she changed her sit-ski manufacturer and planned to spend the season adjusting to her new equipment.
Loesch, who became paraplegic after a car accident at age five, was originally inspired to take up skiing in 1996 after she saw Paralympic athletes cruising down the slopes on television. She graduated from the 2006 IPC Alpine Skiing development camp along with fellow Austrian and Paralympic champion Markus Salcher.
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Tweets by paraalpine