Jeanette Chippington21 April 1970 Maidenhead, Great Britain
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- 2017 European Championships – Gold (KL3), silver (VL2)
- 2017 World Championships – Gold (KL1)
- Rio 2016 Paralympics – Gold (KL1)
- 2015 World Championships – Gold (KL1)
- 2015 European Championships – Gold (KL1)
Following her retirement from the pool, her passion for water sports remained and she was quickly back on the water with a kayak.
“I retired from competitive swimming and was looking for another sport to take up for a hobby,” she said. “I was introduced to kayaking [Para canoe] by a friend and fell in love with it immediately. It was only ever meant to be a hobby but after 20 years of competition and training it must have still been in my blood.”
In 2012, at her first international appearance at the World Championships in Poznan, Poland, she claimed three world titles (K1 200m A, V1 200m TA and V1 200m A).
This proved to be the right decision as Chippington sealed canoe’s first Paralympic gold, just ahead of Germany’s Edina Mueller.