Sixty-five athletes (40 female and 25 male) from 12 countries across three continents took part in the second edition of the World Para Dance Sport Online Challenge.
The virtual competition was launched in 2021 offering Para dancers the possibility to compete from their hometowns staying active and motivated despite the challenges imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic. The events were also open to new athletes aiming to be as inclusive as possible.
This time, Para dancers had until 1 October to submit their performances in video to be judged by a panel of international adjudicators in 11 different categories.
Mexico dominated the second edition with 10 medals including three victories: Jesus Yermain Fernandez won in the men's single conventional class 1, Esther Araceli Pena in the women's single conventional and Teresa Esmeralda Leal and Diego Armando Sanchez in the combi Latin new.
Denmark made a successful debut in the Online Challenge as Nina Bierfreund Breum Jensen triumphed in the women's single freestyle power event.
Para dancers from Brazil, Chinese Taipei, Israel, Kazakhstan, Russia, Slovenia and South Korea were also among the winners.
Here are all the winners and medallists of the second Online Challenge:
• Men’s Single Conventional Class 1
1. David Pimentel Pontes (BRA) 85.719
2. Cleyton dos Santos Bentes (BRA) 80.834
• Men's Single Conventional Class 2
1. Jesus Yermain Fernandez Angeles (MEX) 104.191
2. Jongchul Choi (KOR) 97.885
3. Wen-Sheng Kuo (TPE) 94.984
• Women's Single Conventional Class 1
1. Anna Vaishbein (ISR) 91.833
2. Hye-Jeong Jang (KOR) 88.122
3. Sumin Chae (KOR) 83.391
• Women's Single Conventional Class 2
1. Malika Muktarova (KAZ) 105.005
2. Juhee Hwang (KOR) 104.405
3. Moonjung Choi (KOR) 103.026
• Combi Latin Class 1
1. Sumin Chae / Dongsub Jo (KOR) 96.923
2. Mariah Levin / Derrick Williamson (USA) 75.644
• Combi Latin Class 2
1. Chiao-Hui Chang / Wen-Sheng Kuo (TPE) 100.155
2. Lucelva Estefania Gomez Gomez / Jesus Yermain Fernandez Angeles (MEX) 94.295
3. Alice Mascello / Marco Galli (ITA) 87.664
• Men's Single Conventional New
1. Ilia Gladkii (RUS) 88.688
2. Diego Armando Sanchez Garcia (MEX) 87.280
3. Jesus Antonio Badillo Garcia (MEX) 83.299
• Men's Single Freestyle Power
1. Amir Alibabic (SLO) 20.190
• Women's Single Conventional Program New
2. Esther Araceli Pena Zaragoza (MEX) 91.628
3. Antya Guadalupe Estrada Munoz (MEX) 81.376
4. Itzia Sarahi Escamilla Hernandez (MEX) 76.123
• Women's Single Freestyle Power
1. Nina Bierfreund Breum Jensen (DEN) 13.830
2. Ines Golobic (SLO) 13.275
3. Pirjo Pappila (FIN) 12.949
• Combi Latin New
1. Teresa Esmeralda Leal Arellanes / Diego Armando Sanchez Garcia (MEX) 88.315
2. Lucy Johana Caamal Cauich / Andres Alejandro Canto Sanchez (MEX) 79.911
3. Itzia Sarahi Escamilla Hernandez / Carlos Abraham Gonzalez Villarreal (MEX) 73.345
As a courtesy of DSI London, World Para Dance Sport partner, the winners of each event will be awarded one month’s free access to DSI TV and the second and third places a 20 per cent discount on any purchase on the DSI London website.
“Para dance sport and digital platforms are a perfect match. After the success of the first edition earlier this year, we had no doubt that we would see amazing performances in the second Online Challenge too. We are really happy to give new athletes the possibility to put their skills and moves to test against some of the world's best,” Camila Rodrigues, World Para Dance Sport Manager, said.
“The Online Challenge would not have been possible without the support of our Para dance sport community and of the Sport Technical Committee members who made it happen. I would also like to give a special thanks to athletes and coaches, National Federations and National Paralympic Committees, adjudicators and DSI London,” Rodrigues added.