“The FEI Solidarity World Photo Grand Prix in association with Action Images is a new and exciting initiative, which celebrates not only the horse but also the many talented photographers out there, shining the spotlight on the diversity and uniqueness of the equestrian world.”
The FEI Solidarity World Photo Grand Prix, a competition aimed at uncovering new photographic talent around the world in 2014, the Chinese Year of the Horse, has been launched by the Federation Equestre Internationale (FEI).
The joint initiative with Action Images/Thomson Reuters encourages amateur and professional photographers to submit images that capture an aspect of equestrian sport and lifestyles in a memorable and eye-catching way.
The competition runs from 8 May until 29 June, and is open to everyone via http://feiworldphotograndprix.com, and to Instagram users who can enter their images by using the hashtag #FEIPhotoGrandPrix.
The competition is divided into nine categories, and the individual winners will receive a tablet, a personalised leather photography portfolio and an Action Images/Thomson Reuters master class.
The overall winner of the FEI Solidarity World Photo Grand Prix will be invited to the FEI’s flagship event, the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games 2014 from 23 August-7 September in in Normandy, France, to work with a Thomson Reuters photographer and experience unparalleled, behind-the-scenes access to the world’s top equestrian talent.
Winning entries in the FEI Solidarity World Photo Grand Prix will also be exhibited in the FEI Pavilion in the heart of the Games village.
Elite judging panel
A world-class, international judging panel will be called upon to deliver the winning verdict and launch an aspiring sports photographer’s career. The panel is made up of:
• Her Royal Highness Princess Haya, FEI President
• Bob Rosato, legendary sports photographer and COO of USA Today
• Melissa Farlow, award-winning National Geographic photographer
• Mark Adams, Director of Communications at International Olympic Committee
• Deirdre Lyons, Co-Founder and Director of Corporate Image and Design at Alltech
• Giuseppe Della Chiesa, Chair FEI Eventing Committee and international course designer
• Alan Whiter, Vice President of Action Images
• Ingrid Klimke, two-time Olympic Eventing champion
• Arnd Bronkhorst, internationally renowned equestrian photographer
• Dustin Vaughn-Luma, mobile photography and visual design specialist
“The FEI Solidarity World Photo Grand Prix in association with Action Images is a new and exciting initiative, which celebrates not only the horse but also the many talented photographers out there, shining the spotlight on the diversity and uniqueness of the equestrian world,” said Ingmar De Vos, FEI Secretary General.
“We’re delighted to have such a strong panel of judges on board and to be collaborating with Action Images, part of the Reuters Group. Their support is testimony to the interest and global reach of our sport and the greater equestrian community. This competition, like FEI Solidarity, is about providing opportunities, and I am sure we will see many gifted photographers from all backgrounds and ages emerge onto the global scene as a result of this outreach.”