The nominations for October 2018’s Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ poll have been announced. The public are invited to vote for their winner via the Americas Paralympic Committee homepage until Monday (12 November).
Camila Haase, Costa Rica, swimming
Won four gold medals in the women’s 100m butterfly, 100m freestyle, 100m breaststroke and 200m medley S9 at the Barranquilla National Open in Colombia.
Daniel Romanchuk, USA, athletics
Captured his first major marathon victory with a win over defending champion Marcel Hug in Chicago, moving him to the top of the Abbott World Marathon Series XII leaderboard.
Dunia Felices, Peru, swimming
Claimed three gold medals in the women’s 50m butterfly, 50m and 100m freestyle S5 in Barranquilla, Colombia.
Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
Set a new Americas record* of 7.30m in the women’s shot put F54 at the Athletics National Open in Colombia.
Mexico men’s wheelchair basketball team
Erased a five-point half-time deficit in the final of the Central America and Caribbean Championship to beat Puerto Rico 59-56, ending the tournament unbeaten and qualifying for Lima 2019.
The nominations are compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• February – Brenna Huckaby, USA, snowboard
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• July – Claudia Romero, Mexico, taekwondo
• August – Euclides Grisales, Colombia, boccia
• September – Giselle Munoz, Argentina, table tennis
*Subject to ratification by World Para Athletics