- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games – Gold: 50m and 200m freestyle, 50m breaststroke, 150m individual medley and 4 x 50m freestyle relay 20 points; Silver: 50m backstroke
- Related Videos
- No. 7 Most decorated Paralympians
- Swimming | Men's 150m IM SM3 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Swimming | Men's 50m Freesyle S3 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Swimming | Men's 200m Freestyle - S3 Final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Related News
- Ten Asian athletes who made history in Rio
- Making a Splash: Wenpan overcomes rookie blues
When you are the most decorated athlete from the most medalled country at a Paralympic Games, you know you are doing something right.
That is exactly what China’s Wenpang Huang achieved at Rio 2016, where he won five gold medals in the men’s S3 and SB2 events. He also reached new world records in the 50m breaststroke, 50m freestyle, 200m freestyle and 150m individual medley. That included lowering the 50m freestyle and 50m breaststroke world record in the heats and finals.
Huang, who has cerebral palsy and took up swimming in 2010, also left Brazil as the third most decorated athlete overall.
However Huang did not have it all his own way in Rio. Ukraine’s Dmytro Vynohradets prevented him from a clean sweep of golds by winning the 50m backstroke.
That was the first time the pair competed against each other at the highest level, and they will meet again at the 2017 World Para Swimming Championships in Mexico City from 30 September.