Yelyzaveta Mereshko8 July 1992 Ukraine
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games - Gold: 50m, 100m and 400m freestyle and 100m breaststroke; Bronze: 4 x 50m freestyle relay 20 points
- 2016 IPC Swimming European Open Championships - Gold: 200m individual medley, 100m freestyle; 400m freestyle and 4 x 50m freestyle relay 20 points; Silver: 100m breaststroke and 50m freestyle; Bronze: 100m backstroke
- 2015 IPC Swimming World Championships – Gold: 50m, 100m and 400m freestyle; Silver: 200m individual medley and 4x50m freestyle Relay 20 Points
- 2014 IPC Swimming European Championships – Gold: 50m and 100m freestyle 4x50m freestyle relay 20 points and 4x50m medley relay 20 points
- Related Videos
- Swimming | Women's 50m Freesyle S6 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- Swimming | Women's 200m IM SM6 final | Rio 2016 Paralympic Games
- WORLD RECORD Women's 200m IM SM6 | Final | 2015 IPC Swimming World Championships Glasgow
- Related News
- Seven golds in seven days for Dias at Glasgow 2015
- Rio 2016 gives Simmonds ‘renewed desire’
Simmonds had one the event at every World and Paralympic Games since Beijing 2008, but that did not matter to Mereshko, taking the world title from her idol at her first Worlds and setting up one of the races of 2016.
Mereshko won a further two world titles in the 50m and 100m freestyle S6, to add to her first two European titles from 2014.
Not only that the relative newcomer, who only began swimming competitively in 2013, set two new world records in the 50m and 100m freestyle in Glasgow.
However, going into the 2016 Euros the 400m freestyle mark still belonged to Simmonds. Inher absence, Mereshko claimed that accolade too, going on to win four titles in total.
By the time Rio 2016 rolled around, the stage was set for Mereshko and Simmonds to face each other on the biggest stage possible. The Ukrainian took the 400m freestyle crown and another two freestyle events, winning the 100m in a world record time. However the Brit was not to be outdone, retaining her 200m individual medley title.
Mereshko, who enjoys embroidery to keep her mind occupied in between competing and training, is also a computer engineering student.