Lisa Gjessing4 July 1978
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- 2016 European Championships – Gold, women’s up to 58 K44
- 2015 World Championships – Gold
- 2015 European Championships – Gold
- 2014 World Championships – Gold
- 2013 World Championships – Gold
A three-time world champion and three-time European champion, Gjessing remains No. 1 in the world rankings. She previously tried qualifying in taekwondo for the Athens 2004 Olympic Games, but she stopped her career on the Danish national team later that year due to cancer in her left hand. After several operations, half of her left forearm was amputated in April 2012.
Still, Gjessing continued in her sport, setting aims for the 2013 Para Taekwondo World Championships in Switzerland, where she won gold and went on to take the titles in 2014 and 2015, where she was selected as the female Most Valuable Player.
- Follow us on Facebook