Markus Salcher5 June 1991 Klagenfurt, Austria
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- 2017 World Para Alpine Skiing Championships: Gold - downhill and super-G
- 2016-17 World Para Alpine Skiing World Cup: Overall winner - super-G and downhill
- 2015 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships: Silver - super combined and giant slalom
- Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games: Gold - downhill and super-G
- 2013 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships: Gold - downhill and super-G
Markus Salcher enjoyed a successful 2017 World Para Alpine Skiing Championships in Tarvisio, Italy, just over the border from his home town of Klagenfurt. His exceptional talent for speed came to the fore, and he left with golds in super-G and downhill, regaining the titles he won in 2013.
The Austrian, born with the right side of his body paralysed, is one of the younger standing skiers on the national team.
A graduate of World Para Alpine Skiing’s 2006 development camp, at age 22 the young hopeful surprised doubters in 2013-14 by finishing atop the world rankings after capturing world titles in the men’s downhill and super-G.
He went on to compete at his second Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi and became an overnight star in Austria after winning double gold.
Salcher has gone from strength to strength, climbing the world rankings since competing at Vancouver 2010.
In 2015-16, Salcher finished second in the overall men's standing World Cup, helped by wins in super-G and downhill.
In 2016-17 he improved to first place in both disciplines, helped by a win in downhill at the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games Test Event. He also claimed the overall men's standing World Cup.
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Tweets by paraalpine