Martin Schulz17 March 1990
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games - Gold: Men's PT4
- 2015 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Chicago - Silver: Men's PT4
- 2015 Rio de Janeiro ITU World Paratriathlon Event - Gold: Men's PT4
- 2015 Iseo - Franciacorta ITU World Paratriathlon Event - Gold: Men's PT4
- 2015 Geneva ETU Triathlon European Championships - Gold: Men's PT4
Having won world titles in 2013 in London, Great Britain, and 2014 in Edmonton, Canada, and being a four-time European champion, Schulz went into the 2015 World Championships in Chicago, USA, as the heavy favourite for gold.
The 25-year-old had a 28-second lead on Canada’s Stefan Daniel after the 750m swim in Lake Michigan. After a malfunction on the second lap of the bike, Daniel took the lead. Schulz continued to battle back, and the two athletes entered transition two after the 20km bike shoulder-to-shoulder. Schulz bolted onto the 5km run course first. But after the opening of three laps, the Canadian led the way in the deepest triathlon field. Daniel never looked back, and celebrated after rounding Chicago’s iconic Buckingham Fountain for the final time with 100m to go.
Schulz, who was born without a left forearm, competed in his first triathlon at age 15.
- Follow us on Facebook