Pilar Jauregui has been chosen as Americas ‘Athlete of the Month’ for November after receiving 70 per cent of the public vote.
The Peruvian badminton player left as the most decorated player of the Pan American Championships on home soil in Lima after winning the women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles titles.
The Mexican women’s wheelchair basketball team, which earned their place at the Lima 2019 Parapan American Games after dominating the Women’s Americas Region Qualifier, finished second with 20 per cent.
Brazilian judoka Alana Maldonado, US wheelchair tennis player Nick Taylor and David Wagner, and Bermudan boccia player Steve Wilson were also nominated.
The nominations were compiled from submissions by National Paralympic Committees (NPCs) from across the continent.
The 2018 Americas Athlete of the Month winners are:
• January – Fernando Fuentes, El Salvador, swimming
• February – Brenna Huckaby, USA, snowboard
• March – Cristian Ribera, Brazil, Nordic skiing
• April – Daniela Gimenez, Argentina, swimming
• May – Juan Carlos Garrido, Chile, powerlifting
• June – Francisca Mardones, Chile, athletics
• July – Claudia Romero, Mexico, taekwondo
• August – Euclides Grisales, Colombia, boccia
• September – Giselle Munoz, Argentina, table tennis
• October – Camila Haase, Costa Rica, swimming
• November – Pilar Jauregui, Peru, badminton